Posted on 31 July 2008 by Tony Hackerott
There are various styles of Japanese swords available today. Both antique swords as well as modern versions can be purchased depending on your preferences. Some of today’s Japanese swords are manufactured, but the authentic swords are made by a sword-smith. The various types of Japanese swords are classified by their size and also the manufacturing method.
Posted on 25 July 2008 by Tony Hackerott
The history of Chinese martial arts is fascinating, obscure, and steeped in mystery. For anyone who his serious about studying the fighting arts, the trial eventually leads back to the ancient Chinese martial arts. After all, the Chinese were the ones who first pioneered the martial arts systems which have since spread to every corner of the world. It was the Shaolin Monks, an ancient Chinese Buddhist sect, which developed and refined Kung Fu training techniques centuries ago. Apparently, they did a good job of it too; Shaolin Kung Fu is still practiced to this very day.
Posted on 16 July 2008 by Tony Hackerott
Murphy’s Laws of Martial Arts
- The referee will always be looking away when you score. You can never tie your Taekwondo Uniform when a member of the opposite sex are present in class. In a vacant locker room, the only other person dressing will have the locker next to yours.
- The wimp who made it through the eliminations on luck alone will suddenly turn into Bruce Lee when you’re up against him.
- The class you make it to on time is when the instructor will be sick.
- You are the only student your instructor calls on to show joint-locking techniques.
- No matter how many times you take care of it before your promotion exam, you will invariably have to go to the bathroom when it’s your turn.
- After a perfect Kata you will trip on the way back to your seat. After years of training without a single injury, you will pull a groin muscle the night before your black belt exam.
- When you have to use your martial arts, your opponents father will be a lawyer.
Posted on 10 July 2008 by Tony Hackerott
Watching several reality TV shows about different type of Martial Arts I wondered how many and from where they came from. I am sure there are many more arts out there but this is a pretty long list of martial arts.